A pair of Coade urns, with bud form finials and fluted sides, bases impressed 'Coade Lambeth 1794', 63cm high, with a pair of rams head and swag moulded pedestals, 53cm high, restorations, s/d
Provenance: Property of a Titled Estate
Note: This pair of Coade urns were made by the company whose founder and owner was Eleanor Coade, an highly successful entrepreneur with a flair for commerce. Having run her own drapery business in the 1760s she bought an artificial stone factory in 1770 and turned it into a world-renowned company, producing architectural features and garden ornaments, supplying none other than the Royal Family, for Buckingham Palace, many architects of the time including James Wyatt, John Soane and John Nash (leading lights of the Neoclassical movement) and many wealthy patrons overseas. These urns are in fact finials and similar examples can be seen on her home, Belmont House, in Lyme Regis (see plate opposite), where they can be seen on the parapet walls of the roof, as was the fashion on Palladian style manors and villas of the day. These examples are stamped ‘Coade Lambeth, 1794’ and given the name of her company changed in 1799 (to Coade & Sealy) these urns can be given a pretty accurate date of manufacture.
Sold for £9,200
Finials broken and chipped. One formerly broken in pieces and restuck. Cracks visible too. Both restored. Plinths chipped including 8cm section missing on former. Badly chipped, particularly rams' head pedestals' plinths and top edges, vertical cracking as well(4)