A Victorian oak clock back pedestal sideboard, the 9½ inch dial dated 1846 with a ring of Roman numerals picked out in black on abalone shell,within enamel and pierced brasswork in the form of a mayoral chain, with single winding hole for the timepiece movement, the carved oak back extensively carved and centred with a Salopian crest with motto inscribed 'Clemens et Fortis, the motto of William Clement, the well known Shrewsbury surgeon, the rectangular top with figural mounts over a long central frieze drawer flanked by a short mask carved drawer to each side, on two carved pedestal supports with ogee moulded skirting plinth, 228cm wide, 193cm high overall, 75cm deep Note: William Clement studied medicine and surgery at the Middlesex Hospital and Edinburgh Medical School, his mentor was the renowned surgeon Sir Charles Bell. Clement settled in Shrewsbury with a position as surgeon at the Salop Infirmary in 1835. He was elected a Councillor for the new Borough Council in 1835 and served with distinction on and off for 33 years, he was elected Mayor in 1861-62 and also became an MP, being returned unopposed in a by-election in 1865. The Clement memorial obelisk was erected in 1873. It stood outside the railway station until 1897, when the station was remodelled and it was moved to the Dingle.
Sold for £5,500