The following information is to aid all prospective bidders of Halls Fine Art Auctioneers and Valuers:
Please make sure that you read our Terms of Sale carefully before bidding in the auction. You will be obliged to comply with our Terms of Sale if your bid is successful.
You are obligated to pay our buyer’s premium on top of the hammer price of each lot purchased.
24% + VAT* (28.8% inc VAT)
For invoices over £1000 a 20% deposit or £1000 (whichever is applicable) will be taken the day following the auction
For all invoices under £1000 full payment will be taken seven days after the auction
*Goods will be released once payment has cleared.
All our auction catalogues are available to view online as interactive listings. These are uploaded in advance of each auction. Each lot is imaged and can be enlarged to get a more detailed view.
For our seasonal auctions we produce a perfect bound, printed catalogue designed in house. These can be purchased prior to sale for £15 (including postage)
We also convert these catalogues into online ‘page turner’ e-catalogues which can be viewed on our website.
Viewing dates and times can be found on the details for each auction.
You do not need to book to view our auctions (unless otherwise stated).
BIDDING & REGISTRATION
To bid in any one of our auctions we require all potential buyers to register and provide two forms of identification. This is to comply with existing Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.
All our clients need to provide photo ID and proof of name and address by providing the following:
- a government issued form of photo identification (plastic card element of a driving licence, or passport)
- proof of address such as a bank statement or utility bill, dated within the last 3 months
Please send copies via email to email@example.com when arranging your bid. These documents will be sent to a secure computer and uploaded to your client details.
Please register in good time for the auction.
Please register 48 hours or more before the auction. Registration on the day of sale cannot be guaranteed.
Please allow plenty of time for registration and before 4.30pm the day before the auction. Bids left after this time cannot be guaranteed and may not be submitted.
On the day of the auction come to our Cash Office to register to bid and obtain your bidding number.
You can arrange to be contacted by telephone to bid during the auction.
You may leave an absentee bid, also known as a commission bid, which is the maximum you wish to spend excluding Buyer’s Premium. We will bid on your behalf for the lowest possible amount, subject to other competing bids, and continue bidding up to your maximum. We do not open bidding at your maximum, nor do we ‘run you up’ artificially.
- Bids must be placed by 4.30pm the day before the auction.
Leave your bids by one of the following options:
- Click here to create a Halls Fine Art client account and leave bids via our online catalogue
- Phone the bidding office on 01743 450 700 or email your bids to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All bidders will be asked for two forms of identification including a form of photo ID (such as driving license or passport) and proof of address (such as utility bill or bank statement dated within the last 3 months)
Register to bid live with HallsLive. You can bid live online, following the sale as it happens with streamed video and audio.
Internet Bidding Surcharge: 3% + VAT (3.6% inc VAT)
First Click here to register and create a client bidding account by signing in. Read the 'How to Buy at Auction' guide on how to do this here
- From 9.30am on the day of the auction sign in and go to the auction catalogue then click on the ‘Bid Live’ link button.
- You will be taken straight through to the live bidding page and are ready to bid!
Please call 01743 450 700 or email email@example.com to arrange your bid or for further advice.
WE DO NOT STATE CONDITION IN THE LOT DESCRIPTION
Before bidding please ensure you are satisfied with the condition of the lot, all objects are offered in ‘as found’ condition.
Bidding indicates acceptance of condition of the lot.
*All lots are sold subject to general wear and tear commensurate with age and handling over time.
You can ask for further details and extra images about any lots in our sales and this is especially important if you cannot view the lot in person. We don’t detail condition in our catalogue descriptions and so recommend asking for a condition report and additional images. Our reports provide a general guide to the condition of a lot but are not a forensic examination and so a physical inspection by you or an appointed agent is ideal.
Condition reports must be submitted before 4.30pm the day before an auction so that we have sufficient time to action the request.
To request a condition report go to the lot of interest and click on the 'Ask a question' link or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Condition reports are always given in writing.
SHIPPING & COLLECTIONS:
The Halls Fine Art saleroom team are always on hand to help, whether you are collecting in person or require advice about local couriers. Collection or shipping arrangements for lots can be made from midday on the next working day after the auction.
If you are the successful bidder and once you have paid for your items, you are free to collect anytime between Monday and Friday 10am - 5pm.
Rules to follow when coming to collect from Halls Fine Art:
- Please ensure you have paid your invoice in full prior to collection.
- All collections can be made Monday – Friday 10am – 5pm.
- On arrival please come to main reception to notify us that you are here.
- Please bring a form of identification with you when collecting your lot(s)
If you are not able to collect in person Halls are happy to suggest a number of local carriers who will be able to arrange packing and shipping for you.
Halls Fine Art are a small team so unfortunately has neither the staff, nor the facilities to provide a comprehensive packaging service. Consequently, Halls will not package items for collection by third parties.
Buyers that engage the services of companies that do not fulfil these criteria will be asked to email or write to Halls stating that they, the client, do so entirely at their own risk and take full responsibility for their choice.
Although we do not ship, Halls offer a limited in-house P&P service for small, non-breakable items which can be placed in a jiffy bag during the week following the auction only. We use Royal Mail Special Delivery for goods up to a value of £2,500.
These will be shipped out Wednesday - Friday.
- £20.00 for items under £300
- £25.00 for items over £300 up to £2500
- Max weight 2kgs 2kgs
- Max dimensions 30 x 20 x 10cm 30 x 20 x 10cm
- Customer cost - Single lot £20.00 Inc VAT £25.00 Inc VAT
- Customer cost - Two lots £23.60 Inc VAT £28.60 Inc VAT
- Customer cost - Three lots £27.20 Inc VAT £32.20 Inc VAT
- Single book £30.80 Inc VAT £35.80 Inc VAT
These services are through MBE Wolverhampton, but payment can be made to Halls Holdings Limited.
Items sent using Royal Mail Special delivery up to £2500 only covers for loss, not damage.
Please call us when you have paid your invoice and we can see if we can arrange this for you.
For all other collection and delivery services, see our list below for local couriers.
Please contact them directly to receive a quote for costs. You are, of course, very welcome to use an alternative courier.
If you are interested in buying a large or heavy item we advise to look at shipping arrangements prior to buying.
Please note that a storage and handling charge of £5.00 + VAT per lot, per day, will be levied if after a period of seven days from the sale date, items remain uncollected.
Halls Holdings Ltd. reserve the right to re-sell any items that have been paid for where appropriate after a period of fourteen days. The original buyer will be charged storage, full commission and insurance and the net proceeds remitted to them.
Halls strongly advises their clients to seek advice from their shipper as to the extra costs of shipping items to and from Europe, given the UK is now no longer part of the EU. These costs will include import duty and VAT, for which Halls is not liable and so buyers/vendors will need to budget for this.
- Pay online: Login to/create an account on Halls Fine Art’s website. In 'my account' click on 'invoices and payments' to find your outstanding invoice. Follow the onscreen instructions to make payment.
- Direct bank transfer:
Bank: Metro Bank Plc
Bank account name: Halls Holdings Ltd
Please note: Metro Bank Plc are not currently part of the Confirmation of Payee service, therefore you may receive a warning that the bank details cannot be verified. This should not stop you from proceeding with the payment, however if you would like further reassurance please do not hesitate to contact us to confirm the bank details.
- Debit cards up to £1,000 - please call us on 01743 450 700 to pay over the phone
- Personal cheque made payable to Halls Holdings Ltd
We regret that we do not accept payment by credit card.
Payment methods for non UK-based Buyers
Please make payment via bank transfer.
Bankers: Metro Bank Plc
Bank address: Metro Bank Plc, One Southampton Row, London, WC1B 5HA
IBAN: GB16 MYMB 2305 8046 2733 03
Beneficiary: Halls Holdings Ltd.
Beneficiary address: Bowmen Way, Battlefield Shrewsbury, SY4 3DR
- For this we shall require your Swift number.
- Please check with your bank for the cost of making the transfer, as there is usually a fee for this service. This varies from bank to bank.
- Please would all overseas bidders note that if they are bidding from a ‘restricted country’, if they are successful and become the buyer and wish to pay by bank transfer, they will need to provide ID and permit due diligence checks BEFORE payment can be made. If payment is made before this can take place the buyer may end up paying for a cancelation initially, as our bank will not accept payments before the necessary due diligence checks are made.
PAYMENTS FROM RESTRICTED COUNTRIES:
Halls cannot guarantee that payments from restricted countries will be accepted. A list of open un-restricted countries can be found below.
If your country does not appear on this list, please check the restricted countries list.
Payments from any closed country will not be accepted. This applies to all countries on the list below:
Buyers based in a restricted country will need to provide a government issued form of photo ID (current identity card/driving licence) and complete a due diligence form (download here) to enable Halls to expedite the necessary checks BEFORE their payment can be accepted. If the payment is made by bank transfer before doing so, it will be declined and your bank may issue charges.
If you have any concerns regarding payment to Halls Fine Art please do not hesitate to get in touch with the team and we will try to help. Call 01743 450 700 or email email@example.com
VAT REFUNDS AND BIDDING OUTSIDE THE UK:
You can obtain a refund of VAT if you buy an object which is shipped to a country outside the European Union. You will need proof of export from your courier and then complete a VAT refund form obtainable from the HMRC website.
Please would all overseas bidders note that if they are bidding from a ‘restricted country’, if they are successful and become the buyer and wish to pay by bank transfer, they will need to provide ID and permit due diligence checks BEFORE payment can be made. If payment is made before this can take place the buyer may end up paying for a cancelation initially, as our bank will not accept payments before the necessary due diligence checks are made.
If you need have any questions regarding our terms and conditions of sale please don't hesitate to call us on 01743 450 700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org